According to my Nintendo Switch, I’ve put more than 125 hours into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I’ve defeated Ganon, of course. I’ve also taken down an army of monsters, completed a bunch of shrine puzzles, and found a tonne of Korok seeds. There’s still so much to do.
Like a lot of people, I took a break from Breath of the Wild after Nintendo detailed the game’s first downloadable expansion, which comes out next week on June 30. It’s called The Master Trials, and it adds a few new challenges for Link, some new gear, and a new difficulty level. I am excited about all of that stuff, and I want to save some of the game for it. I’d been happily eating chips and dip, only to learn that our server would be bringing a tasty new variety of dip in 30 minutes. I don’t want to eat all the chips before the new dip arrives, or I won’t have anything to put the dip on.
In anticipation of the expansion, I’ve gone back into my Zelda game to check my to-do list.
Here’s what I have left to do in Breath Of The Wild:
- 34 side quests. I have almost half of the 76 possible side quests still to complete. I know the side quests in Breath of the Wild aren’t exactly The Witcher 3 material, but I still like doing them. Yes, even the ones where you have to bring a specific weapon to a specific person.
- 10 shrine quests. I’ve solved 32 shrine quests, but still have 10 to go. Where are they? What do they involve? I have three of them in my quest log, but the other seven are a mystery.
- 22 shrines. I’ve completed 98 of the 120 shrines in the game, which leaves 22 for me still to complete. I turned off my shrine detector a long time ago, but I might have to turn it on to find the last few.
- 753 Korok Seeds. I’ve found 147 of the 900 Korok Seeds in the game, which feels like a lot and is actually a hilariously tiny amount. This is the one thing I might not be able to do on my own, even with the Korok Detector hat that comes with the DLC. I love finding them, but 753 is a high number. If you asked me to count to 753 right now, I wouldn’t want to do it because it’s such a high number. It might depend on how useful that hat is.
- The vast majority of the Hyrule Compendium. I never really focused on filling out my Hyrule Compendium, and it’s probably too late to start now. Is there a compelling reason to do this? I feel like there isn’t.
- An intimidating number of armour upgrades. I spent one April weekend getting deep into upgrading my armour, but was only able to complete a tiny number of the total upgrades that my wardrobe requires. I got my full Guardian Armour, Champion’s Tunic, Hylian Trousers, and Amber Earrings up to four stars, but everything else is three at best. Miles to go.
- A bunch more stuff from Fang and Bone. I’ve purchased several masks from Kilton, but still haven’t bought most of his really good stuff, including the hilarious Dark Link outfit. I want it so bad, and it’s so expensive. It will be mine. I also gather that Kilton has a quest related to minibosses, and I kind of want to complete that.
- The Desert Labyrinth. I’ve beaten the other two, and had a good time. The desert one has a roof, which makes it more difficult. It’s really just a matter of going there and not leaving until I finish.
- I’m sorry about the chips and dip analogy from before. I’ve been thinking about it since I wrote it, because it was pretty bad. I could have cut it and the article would have been fine, but I left it in because I’m hungry. That’s no excuse, and I apologise.
- Hateno Village. I’ve yet to make any real progress helping Hudson build Hateno Village. I really want to make this one happen, so like the labyrinth, it’s just a matter of focusing on the quest and figuring out what the guy needs.
- Leviathan Bones…? I think this quest involves finding all of the big-ass skeletons scattered around Hyrule, and even think I’ve found most of them on my own. But I actually haven’t gotten the quest yet and don’t know where to get it. I only know that it exists because I’ve heard people talk about it. Also, whenever I think about this quest, I start singing “Outside Bones” by Titus Andromedon.
- Some sort of coliseum? A commenter once told me there’s a coliseum somewhere. I gather it has Lynel in it. I think I once saw a screenshot of it online. I’ve never been able to locate it, and have no real idea where it is. (Don’t tell me!)
- Whatever is located here. There’s this ring of statues (I guess?) located in the desert near Gerudo Town:Stephen tells me there’s something cool there and I haven’t had time to go check it out. Maybe this is the coliseum? One way to find out.
- Probably like ten other things I don’t know about. I’ve taken great pains to avoid looking up Breath of the Wild tips or spoilers, which means there are still secrets I don’t know about and locations I haven’t found. Whenever I play this game, I usually wind up discovering at least three or four cool things I hadn’t known about. I’m sure that will happen plenty more times.
As soon as next week’s DLC hits, I’ll dive back in and start checking more items off my list. I like Breath of the Wild enough that it’s plausible that I’ll actually finish everything by the end of the year.
Okay, except maybe the Korok Seeds.